Search This Blog

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Our Delegation Society

Getting up in age.. (My Medicare Sign-up year... UGH! I'm a dead man now!)
I came to the realization that I'm a cranky old man.

Why do I say this?

Because I'm living in the past.

In the past:

1) A handshake was a contract. Each person lived up to their bargain.
2) We fulfilled our obligations.... BY OURSELVES.
3) If we over-promised... we took the hit and made sure what we promised was delivered.
4) A lie was on the top of the list as being the quickest path to hell.
5) We had empathy for others.
6) We lived in reality and faced the challenges it put in front of us.

Now I see:

1) A handshake means nothing.
2) We pass on our obligations to others.
3) We run and hide if we can't fulfill on our promises.
4) Lying is perfectly OK. I'm covered by the contract which says "no promises"
5) If I can pull one over on you, it's your fault.
6) Run away if things get too tough.

Nowadays I see:

- Kids are enticed to go in front of the "Idiot Box" to be entertained by "kill and destroy" video games. Remote killing/destroying without consequences... there goes empathy!

- Parents enjoy the time away from their TV watching kids by escaping into their own TV fantasy land. There goes time with nothing positive accomplished and no memories worth keeping.

I'm obsolete!

Bummer!

I guess it's time for our fantasy land generation to take over. It will be interesting to see how they survive passing the buck back and forth to each other, each blaming the other for their failures or problems.

I enjoy reality. It's invigorating! New challenges come every moment and solving them one at a time is gratifying. I pat my own back over and over again, and it feels good because I did it, by myself, without the help from others. My confidence grows. My independence grows, and my enjoyment of learning new things grows.

No one can compliment you better than yourself.

No comments: