- Let's say we have 6.5 billion people in this world.
- If we placed all 6.5 billion people in this world in one place where each one occupied 21 square feet lying down (3ft. x 7 ft.) they would occupy ONLY 233 square miles.
- Let's say we use all of our currently cultivated land for food. (6,679,143 sq. mi.)
- This will equal 0.65764 acres per person cultivated land.
- Let's say each person requires 2200 calories worth of food per day to survive.
- This means each person will need 803,000 calories per year to survive.
- If we can grow 26,500 pounds of potatoes per acre, this means 0.65764 acres can produce 5,533,463 calories per year. THAT's MORE THAN 803,000 calories!
So my point is this.
- The sun can produce many more calories per acre than we need for food.
- Cultivated land area can be increased by adding things like irrigation and making our unproductive land into productive land by using things like desalination plants (like Israel does), and doing other things. (See http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Arable_land for more examples.)
- There's still plenty of unused fertile land we can use to produce food.
- I didn't count anything we can get from the oceans and lakes.
We, as humans, like to aggregate into cities. This means what we see is "overpopulation" and start thinking there's too many people on this planet.
Let me know how you feel when your out in the vast wilderness areas left in this world that's not used for anything.... you'll start wishing there were more people around.
The total land area of the earth is 57,506,059 square miles.
(Our total populaton occupies 233 sq. miles laying down!)
THERE'S A TON OF EMPTY SPACE OUT THERE!
Why do people starve? I say politics is the biggest reason.
How can 233 square miles of ANYTHING affect global ANYTHING!
The world has a surface area of 196,939,911 square miles. (i.e. the population occupies only 233/196,939,911 th of the worlds surface area.
That's only 0.000118% that we occupy! Do you really think we have any power to affect anything?
What should we concentrate on for our own good?
1) Food Preservation and transportation.
2) Fuel Production (Just to make life easier and to transport food.)
If the world economy goes down the tubes... we'll all be OK
If we could learn to get along with each other...we'd have paradise on earth for many billions of years to come. (As long as we take care of what we got. And we've got plenty.)
See the world..., see what's left... http://www.travellersgold.com