Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Way Off the Deep End Today - A really dumb Spew.

Insanity comes occasionally... where did this one start? Don't know... but here goes (It's in my head.. gotta get it out... OOOOoooohh I'm SOooooo Embarrassed!)

Thinking of ants right now. I used to watch ant wars when I was a kid and the red ants were attacking the red ants. Why? I think. Hmmm... could it be because of resources?

OK, so now comes the tectonic plates thing...

We humans fertilize our crops... the rain comes and flushes away anything water soluble (including nutrients) and sends it downstream into the ocean where the plankton and other critters eat it, make their shells, die, sink to the bottom of the ocean where they are trapped and eventually sub ducted under another continental plate for a gazillion years, or so.

This tells me that our thin skinned earth is continually being depleted of nutrients and that there will only be a certain amount of nutrients available at any given time.

Not enough for EVERYTHING to survive comfortably (plants included.)

So our "beautiful" mother nature has an insidious side. Plants kill other plants to get sunlight, ants kill other ants to get food, people kill other people to get "resources".

Cats terrify their prey by playing with them before the kill.

How cruel is that mom?

You have NO IDEA where I'm going... read on to a WHACKO end.

I really lost it today! I'm going to wax philosophic.

Thinking about why we humans are in the condition we're in.

Here are some thoughts that I'll vehemently disagree with in about 10 minutes.

The prior paragraphs painted a reality.

Survival is the only thing driving the dynamics of life. It's amazing how many different ways survival manifests itself: massive amounts of offspring, venoms, speed, camouflage, size, fur, .......

We, being humans, like to think of ourselves as being on the top of the survival scheme... we got BRAINS!!!!

Brains dealing with "limited" resources. Hmmm.

So, what do we do with our brains?

Of course, we think of survival! Some of us do well with the survival condition... others don't.

Societies tend to survive well.

People with a sense of "identity/place/purpose" seem to survive well.

But there's "limited" resources: land, food, attention, recognition, stature,.....

Thinking about my current endeavor got me here.

Here I am, trying my darndest to make sure this is a win/win proposition for everyone I introduce this to... else, I won't do it.

Then these crazy thoughts came into my head which made me realize... yes it is.

So is selling rats-on-a- stick.

It all depends on our view of the world and our survival comfort zone.

If we can undeniably see that selling rats on a stick will improve our ability to survive, we'll do it.

If we can undeniably see that we can make our "society" survive better, we'll do it. (Remember? Society = group = practices that improve the survival of its members = armies = knowledge = common purpose = politics.)

I truly love humans and am delighted in the happiness some of us possess. I am also devastated by those less fortunate. Can you imagine being born in a cardboard shack and growing up learning the survival tactics for that environment?

We are all slaves to the "identity" given to us or that we give to ourselves.

Here's some identities popping off the top of my head: cool, strong, smart, rich, poor, disadvantaged, good, bad, clever, creative, persecuted, gullible, honest, caring, beautiful, ugly, fat, thin. We can even put -"est" on these words if we choose.

So... here's my net/net.

We all need to be recognized for something. We all need an identity. We all have this yearning to be heard. We all need to make a difference. I'm not immune to any of these feelings... I'm human, too. So are you.

Here's my message.

Our standard of survival doesn't need to include "-est".

Another thought? Our condition is an artifact of the influences others impress upon us in their effort to be heard/recognized.

Yet another thought. There's a million ways Mom Nature shows us how to survive. Some cushy, some not-so-cushy.

Why not survive cushy? Easy to do when you realize that beliefs, actions, and identities influence how well we survive.

In my research on my current endeavor I realized that success breeds envy, criticism and not-so-honorable competition. At the end of the day I netted out that my current endeavor is honorable and worthwhile to pursue. (This is an ad... yet, again, not.)

Have fun roasting rats-on-a-stick if you so choose.

P.S. Post may be deleted in 10 minutes.

No comments: